As a big part of Red Dead Online's 1.2 Naturalist update, a whole roster of legendary animals has been added to the world for you discover, hunt or study respectively. We'll show you how to find all legendary animals in our comprehensive guide below.
On this page:
- How to Find Legendary Animals in Red Dead Online
- All Legendary Animals
- How to Catch or Hunt Legendary Animals
- How to Make Legendary Animals Spawn
How to Find Legendary Animals in Red Dead Online
You can find legendary animals in Red Dead Online either by hunting them down in the main open world, or taking specific quests from Harriet that allow you to locate them. The second of these cannot be done unless you become a Naturalist, not to mention that the best way to make money and items from catching legendary animals is done in the Naturalist role.
All Legendary Animals
Below we've listed all the legendary Animals we've discovered so far in Red Dead Online, and we'll be adding more if they're added in the future. We're also in the process of writing guides for the most popular ones, so make sure to comment if you specifically want to see one explained!
- Cross Fox
- Emerald Wolf
- Gabbro Horn Ram
- Icachi Boar
- Inahme Elk
- Katata Elk
- Marble Fox
- Maza Cougar
- Night Beaver
- Onyx Wolf
- Ota Fox
- Ozula Elk
- Rutile Horn Ram
- Sapa Cougar
- Wakpa Boar
- Winyan Bison
- Zizi Beaver
How to Catch or Hunt Legendary Animals
Once you're in the vicinity of a legendary animal, a yellow pawprint will appear on the map, one that blinks in-and-out intermittently, similar to bounties you're chasing. Depending on whether you want to kill or sedate it, give chase (or run away, if it's a predator), while firing into it as much as possible. As far as we can tell, legendary pelts aren't altered by using specific guns, so if you plan to kill it use whichever weapon appeals to you most. Otherwise, we've laid out how to sedate an animal here.
There's no shortage of Red Dead guides to help you master the Wild West here at USG, whether it's in the single player campaign or online mode. You can find them all here at our Red Dead Guides Hub.
How to Make Legendary Animals Spawn
If you find that legendary animals aren't spawning or don't seem to be appearing at all, there are several things you can do:
- Use the Legendary Animal Pheromones, an item you can buy from Harriet. If there is a Legendary Animal nearby, it'll make a noise that alerts you to it.
- Try joining a different server and coming back to the same location on a different one.
- If you caught, killed or sampled that animal already, there'll be a cooldown on it respawning. We're still trying to work out what the exact length of this cooldown is, but try walking away for at least an hour.
- Certain animals require certain weather and times of day to appear.
- It's possible that another player already killed the legendary animal before you got there (this happened to us a couple of times). If that's the case, you'll still have to wait for it to respawn accordingly.
Hunters and animal lovers alike can find common ground enjoying the work of USG. Check out Nadia's thoughts on how Red Dead uses Herr Strauss to examine prejudice, or take a look at Mike's study of how the Red Dead PC port made Arthur Morgan into a bumbling, sharpshooting immortal.